Thursday 16 July 2015

The reason why #Internationalannaparty became a thing.



I don't know about you, but the biggest upset i've had about growing older isn't my grey hairs (which I love) or finding myself hoarding little packets of tissues in by bag. I'm not even surprised to hear myself repeating 'mum' lines such as 'as the crow flies'  or describing an outing as 'popping' somewhere. These things don't make warning peeps on my sadness radar. No No, the biggest upset i've become brutally aware of, is how hard it has become to make friends. 

Gone are the carefree days of childhood where i'd lurk at the holiday poolside, edging closer and closer to the child of about my own age waiting like a little child shark for a topic of conversation I could bite on to. No longer can I expect to sit next to someone in class with my surname initials, whom I might share gossip with until I get invited to a Birthday party or invite someone else to a party. Working from home has massive positives. For instance I could be typing this whilst wearing pug Pj's and unwashed 'up hair of knotted doom', but meeting new people (other than my poor abused postal service) isn't likely to happen.

I lived a very sewing solitary life in my own little English habitat. Sharing my makes was a little bit dry. I'm sure you know what I mean. There are only so many times our family, partners, pets and milkman can deal with us proclaiming 'BUT I MADE THIS'. Instagram has totally changed that. Now I post a simple picture of a make and I get real people, leaving real comments, making me feel really happy and positive. I've been inspired by so many people. Individual people, just like me. Sharing their makes from their little areas of the world.

I've now got a lovely amount of real humans who I talk to on a regular basis, and I can still wear pug Pj's and look like I'm auditioning for an adult Hermione. Life could not be better..... but then these two went and did just that. Made my life infinitely better. Ute and Pips are nothing less than awesome and I'm so so lucky to have met them.

I could gush on.... but you know, i'm not getting an oscar or anything. So i'll just leave it here and say that without them #internationalannaparty would be more like #elle wearing an anna in a room with pug. Actually, i'd just be wearing pug pjs in a room with a pug. 

Our Anna dress party starts tomorrow Friday 17th July at 6pm BST and I hope you can come join us with all your beautiful By hand london Anna dress creations. I will cry, but you won't see it. So all is good and everything is in it's proper place. 




8 comments:

  1. CHILD SHARK. i love that!!! and i love the story of how this party came to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was probably the biggest creep as a child. Lurking in wait for friends ☺️ Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Elle! No words, just happy tears. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great post Elle! I feel so much the same way and I am so grateful to instagram for connecting me with so many great sewists, including you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Heather! I totally love knowing you! Seriously, you've made my days with pug pictures and chats. Also inspiration and help. I can't thank you enough. I hope you enjoyed the party. I'm so happy you came. xxxx

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate! that's precisely why I started my blog. Unfortunately I couldn't join you for the Anna party but I hope there will be other parties;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it's been a while! I've been recovering from the party :) I'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way about our awesome community. Sewing is so much better with you guys! There has been loads of positive feedback about the party, so I think I may do something party involved again.... (as long as I get to eat cake) xxxxx

      Delete